Sunday, February 8, 2009
I went to Winterfest with Jess this weekend. It was fun, but not quite
as good as last year: there were less people I knew and the venue was more cramped. The glasses were way cooler though. Little mini-goblets.
The beers... I think the beers were better this year, though part of that may just be my palate changing. I actually didn't like Fitger's last time I had their stuff, but this year they were one of my favorite brewers. I tried about 30 beers; here are the ones that stood out:
- Schell's U Bier, an uncarbonated, unfiltered pilsner. Reminded me of sitting around drinking kölsch in Germany.
- Cold Spring's Moonlight Ale, a 50/50 blend of porter and bock that really worked.
- Cold Spring's Honey Almond Weiss, an unfiltered honey wheat beer with almonds. Not mind-blowing or anything, but it had a cleanliness I liked.
- Fitger's El Diablo, my favorite of the three Belgian golden ales they had. We recommended this to an older couple that liked lighter beers, and they thanked Jess later for the tip.
- Fitger's Procrastinator Doppelbock, which was... delicious. Love the style, loved the execution.
- Fitger's Framboise, the sour result of a 5-year wild lambic project.
- Great Waters' King Boreas Imperial Witbeer, a 8.25% ABV witbier.
- Lift Bridge's Imperial Stout, for which my only note here is "good." I'm a Darkness guy, but I liked this better than all the non-Surly stouts on offer.
- Lift Bridge's Belgian Biscotti, which I foisted upon Jess immediately. I told her I'd double her vote if she picked something delicious, so this is what we both voted for.
- Rock Bottom's Tripel Framboise, which was fruity and drinkable. Good, but not sour like you might expect from the name.
- Surly's Three was good, 50% honey, 50% German Dark Munich malt. That was a nice surprise, since I didn't like Two when I tried it last year. I had this late in the night though, so ideally I'd like to taste it again on draft, unrationed.
- Surly's Darkness is still good, still exactly what I'm looking for in an Imperial Stout. This was my original vote before I changed to match Jess.
Labels: August Schell Brewing, Cold Spring Brewing, Fitger's Brewhouse, Great Waters Brewing, Lift Bridge Brewery, Rock Bottom Brewery, Surly Brewing